Wednesday, August 22, 2007

That Was A Good Day

Today was a really great day! Actually, every day here is a really great day. I mean I'm in the middle of Africa with a bunch of guys my age, building stuff. It feels like we're a bunch of kids and there are no adults around, like we can do whatever we want. I'm making some of the coolest relationships I'll ever have, with some of the most outstanding people you could hope to meet. These are my best Sudanese friends, Aloro, Moses and Simon (left to right). AWESOME guys!But today was especially nice. The weather was clear with the temp. in the mid 80s. The sky was beautiful, the deepest, cleanest blue with the same clouds from the opening theme-song scene on The Simpsons. I drove about 25 miles from our base to take building materials to one of our sites, then pick up two of our carpenters who had been taking care of the final touches to another church building. The police left me alone, I made it back to our compound in time for dinner, and the cherry on top of this day is that we're having fried chicken tonight! Yeah!
Most of the time I love it so much where I am that I'm pretty sure I'll be in Sudan for more than just a year. But days like today make me feel like I could stay forever. Today gave me a feeling of well-being that made me actually feel physically stronger, taller, more handsome, just, well, right. Incredible! It's a powerful thing when you have such a sense that you are where you belong that it makes you feel this way.

Well my first round of R&R (rest and relaxation) begins next Thursday. I can't believe I've already been here 10 weeks! While I'll miss the guys out here, I'm looking forward to spending some time in the big city of Nairobi, eating at restaurants, going to bookstores, that kind of stuff. I'm also going on safari for a few days in the Masai Mara Wildlife Preserve with a girl who works in Juba, about 100 miles north of our base in Yei. She'll be going out on R&R at the same time. It should be fun. Stay tuned for pictures from that adventure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Glad you are having a great time and God is showing himself in more ways than you can believe! Keep having a amazing adventure! God bless!

Chris said...

That's so awesome Besser - I'm glad you're having an amazing time.

Steph said...

good grief, your hair is getting really long!

miss you!